With my parents a few days away from an epic 40th Anniversary trip I thought I’d share a few travel tips. Plus, a couple days ago I returned from a trip so thought I’d stay in the travel spirit!
One of the hang-ups I think most of us suffer from is how to best pack. I’ve traveled a lot over the last 8 years, going on several trips a year, and I still struggle a bit here and there.
Undoubtedly one of the best tips I’ve picked up is to roll your clothes before putting them in your bag. It allows you to pack more clothes than if you neatly folded the clothes and layered them.
Here’s a couple of graphics showing the rolling style and also a combo style with layering pants and placing rolled items on top of them:
A few other things I’ve picked up over the years:
- Place socks and other small items inside shoes
- Place toiletries in ziploc baggies before putting in your toiletry kit to catch any leaks
- Line the perimeter of your bag with your belt to take up less room
- For dress shirts and similar items leave them on a wire hanger (so you can leave them behind) and place a plastic dry cleaning bag over them before putting in luggage. The bag helps keep items from wrinkling. When you arrive remove bag and hang!
- If traveling with 2 bags (that you’ll check) put your heavier items, like shoes and jeans, in the smaller bag to keep bag weight in check
That’s all this time around. So I ask, are you a roller or a folder?